Friday, February 6, 2009

My Ultimate Protein Smoothie


I've been searching for sources of protein as I continue adding more time and frequency to my workouts.  Being pescetarian and not having of fish very often (about once a week) I need to search out other sources of protein to augment my diet, otherwise I feel tired and lack energy during workouts.  I really love the taste of the Naked Juice protein smoothie but it's expensive and I wanted to come up with my own smoothie to save some money.  I've been trying to come up with something similar tasting that had similar nutrition as far as calories/protein/fat and today I think I found a combination I can live with that tastes pretty good.




Ingredients:
  1. 3 heaping scoops of Genisoy natrural soy protein powder
  2. 6 Ice Cubes
  3. 1 cup of natural hemp or almond milk
  4. 1 banana (freeze to increase coldness/thickness of smoothie)
This ends up tasting pretty good and similar to the Naked Juice except banana flavor instead of coconut flavor.  Nutritionally it ends up getting me where I wanted.  You can reduce some fat and calories by going with almond milk vs the hemp but I only have hemp milk in the fridge right now so I did the values based on that.  The almond milk is 2g less fat per cup and 30 calories less per cup.  The recipe I came up with is below.

Nutritional information for My Ultimate Smoothie:
  • Calories: 400 (220 banana, 70 milk product, 110 protein powder)
  • Protein: 31g (2g banana, 4g hemp milk, 25g protein powder)
  • Fat: 7.5 (1g banana, 5g hemp milk, 1.5g protein powder)
To compare to the Naked Juice it's values are 440 calories, 4g fat, 32g protein.


No comments: